- General Submission Rules
- Length of Featured Articles
- Submission and Review Timetable
- Blind Review
- Author Rights/Attribution/Usage
- Formatting and Submission
- VOL Journals: General Terms and Conditions of Use
General Submission RulesGamut welcomes submission files in MS Word format or as PDFs. Images (TIFFS, GIFs, JPGs, etc.) may be embedded within the document(s). Authors should retain high-resolution original files, as they may be needed after a submission has been accepted for publication. We encourage contributors to take advantage of the multimedia capabilities offered by the Internet. Please include images, sound, or video in your submission if you wish. Gamut can assist in the inclusion of such files, and will do so in consultation with the author. Gamut welcomes submissions on any topic of interest to the music-theory community. The increasing diversity of topics in, and approaches to, theory and analysis opens the way for articles of interest to a wider online audience. In an effort to broaden the topics and music-theoretical and analytical ideas presented in Gamut, we especially encourage submissions from authors whose knowledge of other disciplines can contribute to musical understanding. While we are happy to accept submissions of a traditional nature, dealing with such topics as Schenkerian or Transfomational Theory, we are also excited to receive submissions dealing with new theoretical and analytical concepts. These might concern music of different non-Western regions (e.g., India, the Middle-East, or South America) or musical genres from popular culture (e.g., rock, country, or hiphop).
Length of Featured Articles
Length alone is generally not a factor in publication decisions. Innovative formats for longer articles or shorter communications are welcomed.
Submission and Review Timetable
Authors may submit items for consideration at any time. Reviews are normally completed within six to eight weeks. Accepted articles typically appear within 3-6 months of final acceptance.
All submissions to Gamut are read blind. To insure such a reading, please submit your text to the Gamut Editor without making reference to yourself. The editor will remove any information that might disclose the identity of the author.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work, with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Formatting and SubmissionGamut submissions should follow the guidelines set forth in the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition.
The cover email/letter should include the following information:
- Author’s name and contact information
- Academic status and institution
- Title and brief abstract of the article
VOL Journals: General Terms and Conditions of Use
The publisher of this journal is in a partnership with UT VOL Journals, the Volunteer Open-Access, Library-hosted Journals of the University of Tennessee Libraries. Users of the website, services, and/or software(s) affiliated with VOL Journals agree not to misuse the website, services, or software(s) in any way. Users also agree to abide by The University of Tennessee System Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources policy.
To seek an exception to the above terms, or if you have questions on rights or re-use, please contact the journal editors.