Gamut welcomes scholarly submissions on any topic related to the field of music theory. As all standard submissions will be submitted to blind peer review, manuscripts must never reveal an author’s identity. Authors should take additional care to remove any identifying information from their file properties.
Submission and Review Timetable
Authors may submit items for consideration at any time. Reviews are normally completed in about two months. Accepted articles are typically published within 6 months of final acceptance.
Please be sure that your manuscript meets the following criteria.
- All manuscripts, when first submitted, must be double-spaced pdfs.
- Manuscripts must include an abstract of approximately 200–300 words, and a list of four to six keywords.
- We welcome submissions of up to 10,000 words, though shorter submissions between 1,000–3,000 words are also encouraged.
If manuscript is accepted for publication, authors are responsible for obtaining permission to include any copyrighted material submitted to Gamut.
- Authors should consult the most recent edition of The Chicago Manual of Style or its website for information regarding hyphenation, italicization, block quotations, ellipses, numbers (including dates), and opus/catalog numbers, and use the author-date system in all matters of citation.
- Please use footnotes, not endnotes.
Please also include, upon submission, a cover email/letter with the following information.
- Author’s name and contact information
- Academic status and institution