Date of Award
Master of Science
N. E. Fitzgerald
C. E. Allred
The purpose of this study is to determine the work that the department of vocational agriculture of the Westmoreland High School has accomplished during the five-year period from July 1, 1931, to June 30, 1936.
Perhaps one of the most outstanding advantages in the teaching of vocational agriculture is the fact that the students are required to conduct supervised farm practice programs on their home farms. Since this is true, it should be the aim of every teacher of vocational agriculture to raise the standards of the agricultural conditions of his community. It has been assumed that this can best be accomplished through organized instruction followed by supervised farm practice work.
In order to determine whether the agricultural conditions of the Westmoreland Community have been improved, and to note the progress in the work of the department of vocational agriculture, it was necessary to consider:
1. The farming program as it was being conducted in the Westmoreland Community when the department was organized July 1, 1931.
2. The course of study as given by the department of vocational agriculture in the Westmoreland High School.
3. The farming program after five years instruction in vocational agriculture.
4. The farming program on eight farms surveyed in 1931 and again in 1937.
5. The farming program of cme farm survived in 1931 and again in 1937.
6.. The enrollment in the department of vocational agriculture by years.
7. The supervised farm practice programs of all the boys enrolled in vocational agriculture by years.
8. The number of former vocational agricultural students engaged in agricultural lines of work as shown by the follow-up records.
9. The number of former vocational agricultural students profitably employed in other lines of work, as shown by the follow-up records.
Baulch, Nelson H., "A study of vocational agriculture in the Westmoreland community (Sumner county, Tennessee) from July 1, 1931 to June 30, 1936. " Master's Thesis, University of Tennessee, 1937.